Will you make a donation of just $5 (or more) by June 30 to help your alma mater reach this year’s goal?
Why does it matter if I give? A true indicator of the love for and loyalty to one’s alma mater is the extent to which one is willing to support it financially. Annual giving by alumni helps ensure the continued excellence of the WLC experience for current students. Plus, participation indicates alumni satisfaction and sends a message to the world about the quality of a WLC degree and our alumni success. WLC truly relies on alumni donations to fund the day-to-day operation of the college.
Alumni participation impacts:
- Value of a WLC degree. Parents and prospective students look at national rankings and alumni participation rates as indications of how satisfied alumni are with the school and the quality of the degree.
- National rankings. External evaluators like U.S. News & World Report use participation rates when calculating rankings. Right now, WLC’s overall alumni giving rate lags behind that of other colleges like Lawrence and Ripon (see rankings graphic).
- Financial strength. Corporations and foundations require alumni participation rates in proposal requests because they believe their philanthropic dollars should go to an institution with proven results. Since Wisconsin Lutheran College grant proposals can involve millions of dollars, your gift is worth millions!
Will my gift really matter? The answer is a resounding, yes! Strong donor participation sends a powerful message of loyalty and your gift has the potential to inspire others to donate also.
- Every gift counts. Participation is determined according to the number of alumni who give, rather than the amount of their contribution. That means a $5 gift moves the needle just as much as a $50,000 contribution. Take note of the thermometer in the sidebar. Help reach our goal of 425 alumni donors by June 30. Note: spouses who both attended WLC each count, so gifts from married alumni double the impact toward our goal.
- Gifts of all sizes quickly add up. Last year, 404 alumni donors collectively gave nearly $162,000 to WLC.
- Consistency is key. Making a donation annually to WLC will help your alma mater maintain its giving percentage ranking. Your gift will also likely encourage your alumni peers to give back and enable WLC to move ahead of colleges ranked in Wisconsin and nationally.
Your participation in donating to WLC is among the most impactful commitments you can make to your alma mater. Your $5 donation today will make a world of difference to a place that made a difference to you!
If you have any questions about alumni giving, please contact Lisa Leffel ‘98, director of alumni relations, at (414) 443-8796 or email@example.com. Together we can reach our goal!